Tuesday, October 4, 2011

1st Reflection Topic


A picture is worth a thousand word.


Maybe even more. Usually when people try to describe something complex or complicated, it gets lost in translation. Sometimes in situations like these, a picture simply does the whole explaining.

Meaning to say, I am obviously agreeing with the idiom. But, why?

I have been in situations where I would read a sad story about a woman and her dead baby, 3 pages long but feel just a tinge of sadness. Not even a drop of tear. But when I got to the last page, there was a picture of the woman with her dead baby, and tears just started running down my cheeks as if I had a burst pipe in my tear ducts. You see, the words told me the story, but the picture SHOWED me the story.

A picture, carries a story that can be seen or interpreted from a thousand perspective.

A picture of a girl standing in front of a white background tells us so much about her. From the picture, we can see how tall she is, the color of her skin, her hair and the freckles on her nose. No need for a long paragraph to describe her. We just have to look at the picture.

A picture gives us a lot of info about a particular thing.

When I look at our family photos, especially the group photos, I can easily point out the grumpy one, the emotional one, the I'm-the-prettiest-girl-in-this-family one, the alpha male one, and that one person who always has the same pose in every single picture. That tells us a lot about one family. What about pictures with the extended family members? I'm sure the idiom 'a picture is worth a thousand word' is an understatement.

Just look at the picture above, can you guess how many words can be used to describe it? I'll bet my left kidney and say there's probably about a thousand or so. Don't believe me? Count them yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment